Starting a business in the medieval city York
For those looking to start a new business in York then this article will explain just why you have made a great decision for your new business. Franchising is a flourishing industry boasting nearly 1,000 brands in a host of different sectors. Consistently the industry shows 90% of franchisees reporting profitability. The advantages of owning your own business are obvious.
Why choose York to run your franchise operation?
York is recognised as having one of the strongest economies in the North of England, it provides a fantastic environment in which business can thrive. A highly skilled population, excellent transport links, a fantastic digital infrastructure, some of the outstanding business support networks and an unrivalled quality of life combine to make it an exceptional place in which to do business.
York was recently announced as the Sunday Times Best Place to Live in the UK in 2018, perfectly placed at the heart of the country, and is regularly voted one of Europe’s favourite destinations to live, visit, study, work, and do business. The city largely avoided the industrial revolution and stuck to its status as a market town.
Are there suitable areas to run my franchise opportunity?
York is a fantastic franchise territory as it hosts several business parks and shopping districts capable of hosting a vast array of franchise operations from. These include within York;
- Coppergate Centre - Covered walkways of high street fashion and lifestyle stores in open-air shopping centre with cafes
- Monks Cross Shopping Park - Shopping centre with a major fashion and food retailers plus fast food outlets, coffee shops and free parking
- York Designer Outlet - Shopping centre for discounts on international designer and high street fashion brands and homeware. Including restaurants and cafes
- Flexspace York, Monks Cross North, Northminster Business Park, Esrick Business Park, Oakwood Business Park - offering flexible and professional office space for you and your business to grow
York currently has a population just under 200,000 but fear not as this medieval franchise territory attracts 7 million tourists every year, spending a huge £600 million, and this is set to increase to over £1 Billion by 2024.
Will I receive any support through franchising in York?
You’re buying into an established franchise, part of their success has come down to supporting of their franchisees and probably part of your reason for choosing franchising instead of going alone. There is an added benefit of choosing York as your franchise territory.
There are several local business networks and organisations looking to help businesses achieve success:
- Make it York: Their purpose is to develop and promote York as a great place to live, visit, work, study ad do business. Their business support team are here to encourage start-ups and help local businesses to grow
- Visit York: From the smallest businesses to the larges, they aim to support all members in maximising your marketing potential. There here to help support you by offering a range of services to help your business life easier
- York Chamber of Commerce: The Chamber of Commerce for York provides a host of professional services to its members including help with HR, legal queries and training.